April 29th 8 pm to 10 pm at Wyndham Hotel Medical Center (close to Rice University)
Out of Many One – Celebrating Diversity
The HWG Press’s new contest opens August 1st and closes October 31st. Entries must explore the theme of diversity and how it makes us stronger as a society and/or as individuals. Winners will receive cash prizes listed below as well as publication in the HWG Press’s next anthology: “Out of Many One — Celebrating Diversity.” The volume will debut at the Houston Writers Guild’s Pathways April Conference 2017.
Fiction (all genres welcome)
- Fiction and Nonfiction Entries should be no more than 5000 words long and must involve the anthology theme in some way. The writing should be suitable for a general audience, including teens and adults.
- Authors may submit up to 3 entries per category
- Please email each entry as a separate attachment (do not combine entries into a single file)
- Entries must be sent as a word document (no PDF or other formats accepted)
- Email entries to: HWGPress@gmail.com
- In attached Word document:
- The first page should contain the title of the entry, the category, the author’s legal name, the author’s pen name (if applicable), the author’s contact information including email, mailing address, and phone number.
- The following pages should be the entry with a header that includes the title of the entry and the page number. NO AUTHOR NAME ON THESE PAGES FOR BLIND JUDGING.
- In attached Word document:
Entry Reading Fees:
Please use the PayPal buttons to pay for your entry, or you may mail your check and a copy of just the cover page of each entry to: HWG Press Contests, PO Box 42255, Houston TX, 77242. All entries must be postmarked on or before September 30, 2016.
HWG Members pay $15 for 1st entry and $10 for additional entries (up to 3 per category)
Nonmembers pay $30 for 1st entry and $25 for additional entries (up to 3 per category)
HWG Members pay $10 for 1st three poems and $5 for additional set of three poems (up to 3 sets of poems no longer than 150 lines each)
Nonmembers pay $20 for 1st three poems and $10 for additional set of three poems (up to 3 sets of poems no longer than 150 lines each)
- First, second, and third prize winners will be selected in each of the three categories. Each category’s prize winners will receive:
- First prize: $100
- Second prize: $75
- Third prize: $50
- Publication in the HWG Press anthology “Out of Many One — Celebrating Diversity”
- Additional entries may be selected for publication as honorable mentions.
- Authors of the winning entries and those selected for publication in the anthology as honorable mentions will:
- Be provided a free copy of the volume
- Be able to purchase copies of the anthology from the HWG Press at 50% off retail price. They may then sell those copies at full retail price and retain all profits from those sales.
- Retain all rights to their story for any future or concurrent use. No exclusivity is required or requested.
- Have a short biography and a link to their website, Facebook page, or other social media included in the volume in order to help promote the author to new readers.
- Judging – a panel of librarians, editors, and agents will read and score the stories.
- Winners will be selected and notified
- All entrants will receive a feedback page from the judges
- Revision — a panel of editors will review the winning entries and honorable mentions and provide a developmental edit feedback.
- Authors will be sent revision requests based on the developmental edit
- Authors will have a window of time to make the changes and work with their editor to polish the entry and get it ready for publication
The ceremony for prize recipients will take place at the book launch event on Friday, April 21, 2017. Copies of the volume will be given to the presenters and literary agents that participate in the Houston Writers Guild’s 2017 Pathways April Conference. The HWG Press actively sells its books at various selling venues and conventions to help promote our published authors.
We look forward to reading your entries. Good luck to all!