Contest is now CLOSED!
Contest is open (from December 1, 2014 through March 14, 2015) to all writers (regardless of publishing status) with original unpublished work.
First place in each category wins $75. In addition, all first place winners will be entered into a Grand Prize drawing for editing/proofreading of 25 pages by Editorial Services, Inc. Winners will be announced at the HWG 2015 Spring Conference. Everyone will receive score sheets with feedback via email after the winners are announced.
- Romance/Women’s Fiction
- Short Story
HWG reserves the right to cancel a category if an insufficient number entries are received.
- Entry fee: $25 HWG members / $30 non-members (US funds paid through PayPal or by check to HWG, P.O. Box 42255, Houston, TX 77242)
- Multiple entries: $15 for subsequent entry. Please note that each manuscript can only be entered once. Additional entries must be from different manuscripts. More than one manuscript can be entered in the same category or in different categories.
- Poetry Fee: $15 HWG members / $20 non-members (US funds paid through PayPal or by check to HWG, P.O. Box 42255, Houston, TX 77242).
- Multiple poetry entries: $10 for subsequent entry. Please note that each manuscript can only be entered once. Additional entries must be from different manuscripts. More than one manuscript can be entered in the same category or in different categories.
- Short Story Entry fee: Same as book manuscripts.
- Entries: The first 3000 words of your original, unpublished work saved as a DOC file. A synopsis or proposal (up to 500 words) should be included at the beginning of the document. The synopsis/proposal will be judged. The entire submission cannot exceed 3500 words.
- Poetry Submissions: One poem up to three pages in length or a collection of four haiku per submission.
- Short Story Submissions: Submit a complete fiction short story for adult readers. May be mainstream or genre fiction. Maximum length: 3,500 words
- All other short story formatting: same as book manuscript submissions.
- One inch margins, double spaced, font: Times New Roman 12.
- Header: category, title and page number.
- File name should be in the following format: GENRE_TITLE (ex. YA_THE FAULT IN OUR STARS)
Author’s name must NOT appear anywhere on pages submitted.
Failure to follow the contest rules and formatting guidelines will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
How to Enter (NOW CLOSED)
- Deadline to enter was March 14, 2015 at midnight CST.
- Questions about the contest? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 HWG Annual Genre MS Contest Winners –Congratulations!
1. TIE Crash Landing: Sharon Morse Knockdown: Brenda Beem
2. Halfling: Jacqueline Lipton
3. The Campus Turf Wars: Shelley Daly
1. The Indian Half: Alexandra Chasse
2. American Freefall: Sharon Dotson
3. The Oys and Joys: Marcia Feldt Bates
1. Takeover: Millie Naylor Hast
2. Without Issue: P.M. Dietrich
3. The Memory Box: Eva Natiello
1. Too Hot to Handle: Heather Young
2. A Lie in a Cafe: Rachel Gillett
3. The Life and Crimes of Blue Sheffield: T.L. Sherwood
1. Lisette: John Schwabenland
2. Once a Pirate: Vidya Gopolakrishna
3. Evil’s Unlikely Assassin: Jennifer Windrow
1. Running in Heels: Mary Ann McNulty
2. Between the Knife and the Sock: Inder Sandhu
3. Crossing to the Heart: Chandi Wyant